When:



  •  and 

Type of content:

Category:

24 December 2015

Trading Standards warning over `hoverboards` fire risk

Hoverboard

Cumbria County Council Trading Standards are warning that some ‘hoverboard’ products - tipped as a must-have present this Christmas - could explode or catch fire.

Some self-balancing scooters, known as ‘hoverboards’, may pose a safety risk whilst left charging.

Trading Standards officers have visited local shops in the county to offer advice on the products and a number of ‘hoverboards’ have been taken off the shelves.

Anyone who has purchased a ‘hoverboard’ for Christmas and now has concerns about the product should contact Trading Standards via the Citizens Advice Consumer Service line on 03454 040506.

Nationally, Trading Standards have detained thousands of ‘hoverboards’ imported from outside the EU after many failed basic safety checks.

Faults identified on some models include:

� Potential overheating and a potential fire hazard from the lithium battery overcharging.

� Risks of electrocution due to poor quality plugs attached to the board.

� A risk of fire as some plugs have been fitted with substandard fuses or do not have fuses at all.

John Greenbank, Cumbria Trading Standards manager, said:

“There has been widespread coverage in the national media about hoverboard battery chargers causing explosions and we are working with local traders to ensure models posing a serious risk to the public are removed from sale.”

Councillor John McCreesh, Cumbria County Council Cabinet member for Trading Standards, said:

“Hoverboards are in great demand at the moment but consumers should be extremely cautious when buying them as there are real safety concerns around some models. If the charger does not have a normal square shaped three pin plug and doesn’t give details of the manufacturer, I would advise that you steer clear of them.”
Categories:
Tags:
Cumbria County Council Trading Standards are warning that some �hoverboard� products � tipped as a must-have present this Christmas � could explode or catch fire.